29 November 2021

omicron

Recently, we have heard a lot about the omicron strain of Covid. So, how should one pronounce 'omicron'?

Between the ages of 9 and 13, I learned Greek. I didn't learn very much, but one thing I did learn was the Greek alphabet, and 'omicron' was pronounced as [əʊˈmaɪkrɒn], with the stress on the second syllable. However, now I always hear it pronounced as [ˈɒmɪkrɒn], with stress on the first syllable and the first vowel as [ɒ] rather than [əʊ].

I just checked in The Longman Pronunciation Dictionary (3rd Edition, J. C. Wells, 2008), where my pronunciation [əʊˈmaɪkrɒn] is listed as the preferred one but [ˈɒmɪkrɒn] is given as an alternative. Furthermore, it seems that stress on the first syllable is the only possibility in American English, and that might explain why it is the pronunciation that is winning out.

I guess I'll have to learn to say [ˈɒmɪkrɒn], just like everyone else. Or I could obstinately retain my original pronunciation, to show my erudite knowledge of Greek. The trouble with that is that most people would probably just hear it as wrong and not pick up on my attempt to demonstrate of a profound knowledge of classical languages.