04 July 2010

Graffiti

The views of Regensburg over the Danube can be quite stunning, especially when the buildings are reflected on the calm surface of the water.However, something that is rather surprising in such a beautiful city is the amount of graffiti on some of the buildings. Let's look, for example, a bit more closely at the orange building in the middle of the photo above.Now, some people might call it art, but I don't see anything artistic there. I guess it depends on what you mean by 'art'. If it refers to freedom of expression, then maybe one could classify this as artistic. But to me, art should incorporate some element of beauty, and I don't see anything beautiful there.

The big question is: why would people want to deface a building in that way? That's something I don't understand. Maybe everyone wants to be heard, and this is one way of achieving that; but I still don't see the point of it.